|Joan's Neighbors in Glen Park, San Francisco - A Special Remembrance!|
Two very short videos; Joan serving wine & kids playing on floor at Christmas 2014
Many thanks to Joan's neighborhood friends for holding this celebration of her life! Although we had moved away in 1990, she remained connected with her neighbors and looked forward to seeing them every time we visited SF.
Although, we rented her home for many years, the last 3+ years were spent in supervising the restoring, repairing, remodeling and expanding living space in her prized 100+ little Victorian House on Surrey Street.
I called it her 'little old lady' house, because she held onto it with tenacity as a treasured residence, filled with memories, joy and light. And, she had proudly bought it in 1978, with a rare loan for a single woman, which she delighted in paying off!
Always wiser than me in valuing things, Joan's vision was again proved when after she had found a builder she trusted and very much liked, she proceeded to define her dreams one at a time, until actually realizing them as having come true! Bravo! Missus Joan! The result is a home anyone would like to live in, including Joan.
And, although Bellingham had long ago become her/our main home and community, she loved the idea of having a SF nest to visit, entertain guests and serve as a comfortable home away from home for extended periods. This wish had come true, before she left SF for the last time.....
After much consultation and thought, I've selected the following music for Joan’s memorial service at the Sausalito Presbyterian Church on May 21 at 1 PM:
1. One Hand, One Heart - from West Side Story - [Original Cast]
[sung at our wedding by Lynn Stradley
2. Song of the Vajra - a Buddhist chant created and sung by her Teacher, Chogyal Namkhai Norbu
3. Ode to Joy - Beethoven
4. Canon in D - Pachebel
5. Dona Nobis Pacem - YouTube Botticelli/Brigham
6. Sheep Safely Graze - Bach
7 Ave Maria - Schubert YouTube The Priests
8. GrandCanyon Suite - Ferde Grofe (instrumental)
9. Dance of the Blessed Spirits - Gluck
10. "On Eagle's Wings" - YouTube [Josh Groban Lyrics]
11. "The Soft Goodbye" - YouTube [Celtic Woman]
12. Sound of Music - YouTube [Julie Andrews]
13 True Love - YouTube [Bing Crosby, Grace Kelly]
14. You’ll Never Walk Alone - YouTube Susan Boyle
15. Amazing Grace - YouTube -Elvis Presley
16. Wind Beneath My Wings - I have Willie Nelson
17. Everlasting Road - Kitaro I have Album
18. Farewell - John Doan [Instrumental] I Have Album - Eire:Isle of the Saints
Now, I'm told to pick ONE of these as the theme during Memorial Service, with rest to be played either before or afterwards.
That would have to be No. 2, I think.