Today's Update summarizes Memorial Services being held now and planned for the future.
2. The Tsegyalgar West Dzogchen Community in Berkeley, CA - Special Buddhist Prayers are being offered since before Joan's death that continue now until her joyous spirit is reborn. Her Teacher, Chogyal Namkhai Norbu, has prayed for her, a spiritual blessing that Joan wished for and has now received.
3. The Bellingham Shambhala Community is holding a special blessing service for Joan, on Tuesday, April 19 at 7:30 PM at the Shambhala Center at 2825 Meridian Street, Suite #201 [across from Haggen's] Joan was frequently included in this Sangha and has many friends there.
4. The Zen Buddhist Community in Bellingham is holding a special service for Joan on Wednesday, May 4 at 8 PM, in the Red Cedar Zen Center at 1021 North Forest. Joan was also frequently included in this group's meditations and has many friends there.All are welcome.
5. A special memorial service will be held in Yonkers, NY at the Flynn Memorial Home, 1614 Central Park Avenue, Yonkers, NY 10710 on Saturday, May 14 at 2 PM. Joan wished for her cremated remains to be interred at Gate of Heaven Cemetery, in the Casey Burial Plot, alongside her father, mother and brother. All are welcome. Coffee or Tea afterward.
6. The Nalandabodhi Buddhist Community in Seattle will be offering special prayers for Joan soon, with time & place to be determined.
7. The Bellingham Unitarian Fellowship is planning to honor Joan's life in a simple service soon. Several of Joan's friends will collaborate to arrange this event. All are welcome.
8. Siddhartha's Intent Buddhist Community in Vancouver, BC, Canada has been asked to hold a special remembrance of Joan which will likely occur soon.
9. Since Joan's beliefs were sincere, ecumenical and widespread, additional observances may be also forthcoming from:
* The Tsegyalgar East Dzogchen Community in Conway, Massachusetts;
* Prayers have also been requested from Tara Mandala, where Lama Tsultrim Allione has stated:
“Dakinis tend to appear during moments of transitions when we might not know what to do next. The dakinis will remove the blockage.”
* So many others have prayed for Joan that I'm losing count!
* Special recognition is due three Vajra Sisters of Joan:
- Erica Rayner-Horn, whom Joan requested I contact immediately after entering the Hospital, and offered comforting support in reaching out to the Buddhist Community.
-Patty Cashman, a Buddhist Chaplain from Shasta, who made the trip to be with Joan and me to comfort us before the end came.
- Nora McKay, who arrived the night before Joan passed away and was with her until the end.
* I am very thankful for the visits made to Joan's bedside by several of her friends:
- Ilya Kolesnikov - San Francisco
- Margaret Weiland and Bob Davis from Seattle/Bellingham
- Kym Sites and Paula McShane Conway - San Francisco Neighbors
- Sherri Brown - Sacramento
- Fedor Kolesnikov -San Francisco
* Hospital Staff, including Doctors, Nurses, Respiratory Therapists, others who brought compassion and comfort to Joan during her 3-week confinement.
* Finally, all those who offered sympathy the only ways reasonably possible - phone, e-mail and letters - too numerous to count. Again, heartfelt Thanks!
When more of these events become firmed up, notice will be periodically posted here.